Our Goal: A Fear Free Visit for Your Pet
Panting, hiding, whining, trembling – most pet owners have experienced these reactions and worse when taking their pet to the veterinarian. In fact, pet owners say it’s the #1 reason why they don’t stay up to date on needed exams and routine care for their animal companions.
It doesn’t have to be that way.
Our staff and doctors are in the process of completing extensive training and education to make Irving Pet Hospital a certified Fear Free clinic. By using specific Fear Free techniques, we get to know your dog or cat better and can reduce the anxiety your pet may associate with veterinary visits. Eventually, that means bringing your pet to the vet will be less stressful for you as well.
Fear Free techniques include:
- Offering especially tasty “high value” treats for positive association
- The use of pheromones and or/soft music to put the pet at ease
- Non-slip surfaces for exams and treatments instead of restraints
- Gentle, species-specific handling
- Light sedation when necessary
- Separate entrances or exam areas for felines
We may also begin the visit by initially focusing on you rather than your pet, or recommending calming medications or supplements prior to the visit. By using Fear Free techniques, our veterinary professionals can make vet visits not only more pleasant, but more effective.
Want to know more? Call us at (415) 664-0191 or ask one of our team members when you come in for a visit.